Believe it or not, creators may wind up taking hundreds of shots before landing an image they deem worthy of being posted on platform. Have you ever wondered who is actually behind this plethora of pics? The list is long: photographers, friends, parents, boyfriends, husbands, even a tripod…
In 2016, a viral video was released depicting a typical day-in-the-life of an “Instagram Husband” and the online community ran with the hashtag for weeks. A website was eventually created (Instagram Husband) and although it hasn’t been updated recently, is still just as relevant today as it was then.
Scrolling through, you’ll find a section labeled Symptoms which prompts you to answer a series of questions, later helping you classify yourself into a category of Instagram helper. I answered these questions for fun on behalf of my husband and one in particular caught my attention: “Have you stood on more railroad tracks since meeting your Instagram Wife than in the previous years of your life combined?” HA, yes! I have proof:
Truth be told, I don’t think any creator would be where they are today if it weren’t for the people in their lives who are generously willing to take moments out of their day. Not only to snap our photos, but to resist a sip of their latte, a bite of their avo toast or a step in the other direction, all in pursuit of the perfect shot. It’s actually impossible for me to picture myself doing what I do without the keen eye of my partner. And while he prefers to stay anonymous (as most Instagram Husbands do) he has truly mastered the art of listening to my ideas and keeping a low profile when it comes to questioning my methods.
Thinking about adding Insta-Husband to your resume? Let the games being! Here are some general rules to follow:
- Stay Alert – An unexpected surface or backdrop may present an opportunity for a mini shoot at any moment. Be ready to bust out the camera and prepared to listen to instructions. Bonus points if you point out a surface/backdrop before the subject spots it.
- Listen – It’s all in the initial instructions. Your subject has an idea and needs it executed in a certain way based on their vision. In Instagram-world, the photographer doesn’t direct, the subject does. Make your peace with that from the beginning.
- Don’t Be Embarrassed – You’ll find yourself in plenty of situations where people will stare, point, and genuinely wonder what you could possibly be doing. Don’t think twice about it. At the end of the day, we couldn’t do it without you!
- Learn – Time to get on top of your photography game! Read blogs, look into new equipment, and study other subjects. We want you to bring a fresh perspective to the table and challenge our ideas.
- Don’t Give Up – The lighting will be bad most days, the camera will undoubtedly tilt off-center, and you’ll starve before you actually have a chance to taste your Kimchi Fries…. But don’t give up! The smile of satisfaction on your subject’s face will be worth it. When that happens, you can breath a sigh of relief and rejoice…. until the next shoot.
- Always Remember, You Are Appreciated – Creating content is stressful and we couldn’t do it alone. We may boss you around, throw our opinions at you, and give you the impression that we’re self-absorbed in the moments when you help us the most… but in reality, we value you your time and talent more than you’ll ever know.
Feature Image via Style Controversy
Are you a creator or aspiring Instagram Husband? Want to help capture beautiful content, while working with renowned brands? Sign up here and start creating today.
Raya is a Bulgarian-born, internationally-bred lifestyle blogger who’s passionate about all things music, travel and tacos. She is an aspiring writer with an affinity for hip hop [auto]biographies and is always on the search for the next “big” streetwear trend. She can be found on Instagram under @stylecontroversy. Raya is a member of #ThePaidCrew editorial team.